Thing 1

I decided to start this blog as part of the cpd23 course which I plan to follow over the next few months. So here is my first post. I'm sure (or hope) I'll look back on this first post in years to come and cringe.

Currently, where I am in my career is sort of at a stop. Dead end sounds too final. I'd like to think that i'll get a green light somewhere in the future but at the moment with a recession in full swing and with recruitment embargoes to beat the band I'm at a red light stop. Simply put there's not a lot happening for me carreer-wise in terms of promotion. So I'm using what opportunities I can to keep my brain busy, keep learning new things and be ready and full of knowledge when an opportunity does come up, however far ahead in the future that may be.

Its common knowledge among librarians and I would hope among the general public that library services world-wide are suffering as a result of this recession. Budgets have been slashed, staff let go and there is an ever present threat of more cuts to come.

However, I have been following several blogs over the past few months (I will mention these in detail in further posts) and I have found plenty of resourceful librarians making the most of what they've got, and willingly sharing their ideas with the wider population. The internet has allowed librarians to develop a thriving online community. The phenomenon of social networking has enabled us to tap into a section of our community that previously may have considered the libraries old-fashioned and behind the times. Keeping up with new developments in technology is an integral part of librarianship today and the internet has helped us do that.

It is my hope that by completing this CPD23 course that I will be able to catch up with the rest of the online world and have an online presence of my own to be proud of.

Comments

  1. Love your positive attitude to taking the opportunity to learn new things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Hope it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you - there may not be much in the way of career opportunities at the moment but it's up to us to ensure that we stay relevant and innovative. I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to do it for free with this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you and Aine! It's so nice to have the opportunity to work on *something* professional when there isn't much happening career-wise in my life. The online library community is thriving, and there's a lot to learn and be excited about - when the jobs finally open up, we'll be ready for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to read your blog, made me feel not so quite alone! Job opps are indeed few and far between at the moment, and it is sad to see some jobs that were once paid now voluntary! However I agree with the other comments and think it is really important to keep up with developments, and now I have taken the plunge I think this will be an interesting oppourtunity to explore the world of social media and how it applys in the library world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments, it is definitley a comfort to know that there are others out there with the same thoughts. This will be an interesting process to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another Niamh, hi! Glad you're joining in - and as you say, things can't stay as they are in Ireland forever. The recruitment ban will end some day soon and I think those of used the time for professional development will power ahead when it does!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts