Thing 23 : Making it all work together

Making it all work together could mean different things.  There's the 'making it work together so that you have synergy between your various social media accounts' and 'making it work so that it doesn't encroach on the rest of your life' .

Making it work so that it doesn't encroach on your personal life is a skill in itself. I've been working on a few work-related social media projects lately and trying to fit them into and around my normal work schedule has been difficult. I currently use Hootsuite and Buffer to manage my accounts, schedule posts and keep track of hashtags etc. The one thing that I don't like about Hootsuite is that when I retweet someone's tweet, it looks like my original tweet. It gives a RT @.. at the start of the tweet but I would prefer if it just retweeted the original tweet instead. I like buffer for adding articles that I come across, and then it sends them out in intervals. I use scheduled posts in Facebook also, which is useful. You just have to be careful if you schedule a post about an event and then it gets cancelled.

I'm not sure if these tools really alleviates any of the work though. It still takes time and effort to write the posts, make them sound original or personal. At the moment, social media management occupies about 30% of my working week and that's enough for me. I don't think I could do it full time. It's not a healthy life-style to be stuck infront of a computer all day. I think if you're given the opportunity to take on a social media account for work purposes then it's important to make it clear to managers and colleagues that this is an extra responsibility which takes time and effort. It's easy to think that social media is a fun past time and something that should be done on your own time, or only take 5 minutes.

I've said this before, if I traveled on public transport I would get so much more done. I would love an hour a day, to myself to get all my posts and tasks set up for the day. I think it would work a lot better.

Comments

  1. Well Done on finishing the course... and designing it... and leading it... and Thank you for everything!!

    Mary #Rudai23Team :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, I couldnt have done it without the Rudai 23 team!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts