Thing 17: Reflective Practice

The post that Stephanie wrote on reflective practice is probably one of the most important ones on the whole course. The methods that we are using for each module - doing and then reflecting are essential to be able to effectively get the  most out of the experience for ourselves. It's also important that we reflect properly however. I know that my posts have not been the deepest in reflection. I guess it's a consequence of having so much involvement in the back-room development of the course, as a result I feel like I'm reflecting all the time. Asking questions like - will this be relevant? will people find it useful? does it make sense?

I have had plenty of opportunity to reflect on the course as a whole and my experience on the project, what would I do differently, what have I learned from it. The process of reflection is definitely something that I will take away with me from the course and use again in order to effectively learn from my professional experiences. I am quite cerebral by nature. I think using the Gibbs cycle is effective for someone whom reflection is new, I tend to go through those steps naturally, and I'm sure most people do the same. I think a lot, and reflect on everything. I lack the discipline to write it down however.

In my art days I used to write morning pages - 3 pages of writing at the start of every day. It's is an effective method of processing your thoughts so that they don't cloud your brain, and free yourself so that you can devote your thoughts to the creative process.

It's a bit like blogging I suppose, but a bit more personal. I feel that it might be a good practice to take up again. I am currently wearing a few different hats in my professional career - my day job, extra things outside of work such as this project, the WRSLAI, and a European Literacy Network. Sometimes I find it difficult to switch off or separate them so that they don't occupy my time all at once.

Comments

Popular Posts