Thing 18: Communicating Through Photographs

I was reading another Rudai 23 particiapant's blog post on Thing 18 this morning and they really hit the nail on the head. They commented on how social media has shortened our attention span. We flick, we skim-read, or browse without stopping for more than a few seconds. It's no surprise that sites such as Pinterest, Snapchat and Instagram are growing more popular.

Thankfully I'm still able to sit down and read a book without losing interest after a few sentences. I think it's just the immediate and ever changing nature of the internet that makes us flit from post to post like a butterfly. We know there could be something potentially more interesting further down in the feed, so unless it really grabs our attention we wont stop. And usually striking image will make me stop. Especially if it's a beautiful photograph with some tastefully positioned text, or an interesting vintage-esque Instagram photo.

I love Instagram, I have an account and try to use it when I remember to. I would love to use it for work. Our library authority covers a wide region and it's difficult to find a way that I could keep an Instagram account populated without physically being at all the library events myself. Instagram only really works when you're there in the moment. There's not enough happening in the one library that I do work in, it would end up looking very repetitive.

I'm going to try an Instagram account for an upcoming project in my library to see how it goes. I think it'll be a good way to generate exposure for our library service. Hopefully I'll have something meaningful to blog about in a few months.

Comments

Popular Posts