Thing 16: Collaboration Tools

I have skipped Thing 15 Advocacy for now. I think I need to devote more energy than I have at the moment to write that one.

It was great to get a more in depth explanation of how the collaboration tools work within Google. Google wins again! It really is an excellent tool for collaboration. I use it all the time for sharing files via Google Drive, editing documents and hangouts. I work in two libraries and I am never at the same computer for an entire day so I find it really useful to access whatever I am working on via Google Drive.

I have never used Doodle but I certainly will in the future. It can be a tedious part of collaboration when you're going back and forth via email between a group to find out a suitable time for everyone to meet. Thanks Siobhan for introducing us to it.

I've contributed a few comments to the document and I've read some of the other comments. It's nice to see a bit of humor in them, everyone seems to be enjoying the collaborative process and the opportunity to converse in a new way.

I think collaboration is becoming more and more a part of our jobs as we connect with people that are not in our immediate workplace. Collaboration is a skill like everything else. The tools are helpful but it's also important to find the right people to make the collaboration a success. You do need someone or more than one person who has the drive and energy to keep a project going. You also need to be sure that everyone is on the same page, knows what the expected outcomes of a collaboration are. It's important to take not that everyone has their own personal outcomes, or side-effects that they may be hoping to get also. You will have a common goal but also unique individual goals too. And I've discovered that it's important to meet in person at least once or twice also. Tools help with the functions and tasks, but there's nothing to compare to a face to face meeting.

Comments

Popular Posts