Things I've left fall by the wayside.

It has been a while since I've put any time into my CPD23 Things course. I was all guns blazing at the start but I've slowed to almost a complete standstill lately.
I'm happy to say that I've been busy at work and I look forward to blogging about a couple of the projects I've been working on soon.
I started this process as a result of feeling a certain level of dissoluteness with my work and a need to work on something new. The 23things course was just what I needed to inspire me to try new things and all of a sudden I'm very busy and ironically too busy to keep my blog up to date or keep up with the things as the weeks rolled by. I suppose that's a good thing, I am now experiencing a fulfilment in my job that I didn't have before.
But I'm not done yet! There is more to come and I am determined to finish this even if it takes another 6 months.

There are a few of the things which just are not relevant to me, such as Thing16: Advocacy, speaking up for the profession and getting published. I am aware that there are some very effective campaigns in the UK to save libraries and while the libraries in Ireland are experiencing cuts and staff shortages I don't think we're in as bad a state as the UK. That is not to say that I don't think there is a need to speak up for libraries in Ireland, I do it every day as I deal with our patrons, when I tweet or even chat to friends. Writing this blog is as far as I will go to get published for now but I plan to explore the suggestions for getting published in Thing16 further.

As for thing 15 Attending, presenting at and organising seminars I attended my first conference today! Our annual Public Libraries Conference was hosted by my own library authority here in Galway this year and our County Librarian very kindly allowed us time off to attend. It wasn't the daunting experience I thought it might be and proved to be very informative. I'm looking forward to day two tomorrow. On a follow up from my last blog post I am also in the process of organising a story time skills swap among the librarians in my county that do story time. I have a group of about 10 librarians interested in attending so I'm currently thinking about what format and structure it should take. So thing 15 - check!

Thing 14: Zotero/ Mendeley / citeulike are all very useful tools and I am grateful to know they exist but I don't see myself using them at the moment. We rarely have patrons in the library who would have a need for these tools either but it's good to know about them should the need arise.

I'm not sure why I covered those three things backwards. but there you go. That seems to be the way I work best!

Comments

Popular Posts