Thing 2: Why I Became a Librarian

This is post is part of the Rudai 23 course of  which I am course coordinator. I'm not going to blog for every module but I thought it made sense to write about this one. 

Why I became a Librarian.

My first memory of the library was a one room library with a very small section of children's books,presided over by a formidable woman who struck fear into the hearts of every child that entered there. Phew! Thankfully things have changed since then. 

Like a lot of people, I didn't intend on becoming a librarian. My only love and ambition for a long time was art. A career was not on the top of my agenda and I worked simply to live and fund my art habit. I eventually realised that perhaps I could combine my artistic endeavours with a paid job. A library assistant position came up in Kildare, and knowing that the Kildare Library Service was closely linked to the arts centre in Newbridge, I went for it.
 I got the job and was assigned to Celbridge Library. Not as closely linked to the art side as I would have hoped but I soon discovered that i enjoyed the work. Then I discovered that you could study to be a qualified Librarian. A whole new world opened up to after that. I took a career break to study the HDip in Library and Information Studies in UCD and as soon as I finished my exams I moved to Galway and got a job as a library assistant there. 
And this is where things slow down a little.  One mortgage, a wedding, two babies, a recession and nine years later I'm still a library assistant.
 I try to suppress the jolt of frustration that I feel when I say those words. I certainly didn't expect to be still at the bottom of the ladder after such a long time. 
Instead I focus on the positives. I have learned so much from my work. I've said yes to pretty much a.ny.thing that has come my way and as a result opportunities (like this course) have presented themselves when I least expect it. 
That is definitely one of the reasons why I love this job. The variety of work and the potential for exploring so many different aspects of librarianship during an average working week keeps me hooked. There is always an opportunity to learn, and to pass on what you've learned to others. The daily connections that I make with people, whether it's online or in person and the opportunity to help them are the reason i love the job so much. 
Onwards and upwards from here. 

Comments

  1. I think you're underselling yourself here Niamh! You are the brain child behind our WRSLAI 23 Things, Rudai23 and have almost single handedly done everything so far. You are a super uber library assistant, if you were bogged down in administration Rudai 23 would't exist, so thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your blog post, it's honest and I think we can all relate to your experiences. Realise being a librarian can be your profession:) Also congrats on the Rudai23 loving it so far and only hearing positive feedback on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emer, it's great to get feedback. We're loving it too!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like there is a lot of positive things in your work to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned that you have to make it happen, you can't wait for it to come to you.

      Delete
  4. Hey, stay positive. This time last year that's where I was too (after a roundabout career in teaching and marketing too). The right job will come up and all the "things" you've done will count in your favour. Promise. I'm now a School librarian after said route and 6 years as a library assistant in a public library. Certainly in the UK the job market is very slowly moving again - I'd be surprised if it isn't the same where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, stay positive. This time last year that's where I was too (after a roundabout career in teaching and marketing too). The right job will come up and all the "things" you've done will count in your favour. Promise. I'm now a School librarian after said route and 6 years as a library assistant in a public library. Certainly in the UK the job market is very slowly moving again - I'd be surprised if it isn't the same where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, stay positive. This time last year that's where I was too (after a roundabout career in teaching and marketing too). The right job will come up and all the "things" you've done will count in your favour. Promise. I'm now a School librarian after said route and 6 years as a library assistant in a public library. Certainly in the UK the job market is very slowly moving again - I'd be surprised if it isn't the same where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, things are a bit slower here in Ireland than in the UK but hopefully they will pick up soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts