Thing 4: Google

Just when you think you've seen it all.. 

I thought I was up to date with all things Google but I had never heard of Hangouts on Air before, so I stand corrected! I can't wait to try it out- not sure what yet but I'm thinking and planning. Something will come to me. 
We tried an impromptu Group Hangout the other night and it was a learning experience. I now understand the value of having a consistent photo, and name, and making sure it's your real photo and and name, on all of your social platforms. Here is why:

We are at a stage in this course where we are all exploring the different networks, I think we've covered 4 big ones. We are all getting to know the participants and finding our feet. It can get very confusing if the people you are connecting with have different profile photos on each network. If you are connecting with someone on hangouts it's important that they know your name, remember how they know you, and are able to connect that memory with the person they are speaking to in real time. This gets all the introductions out of the way fast and means that you can get straight into the important stuff. 
Imagine if you went to every conference looking completely different. Nobody would remember who you are, and you would  immediately lose all the valuable networking efforts that you made at the last conference. It's the same online. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts