Thing 3: My Professional Brand

So I've been on LinkedIn for a few years now and I have a love / hate relationship with it. Mostly because the app is awful and LinkedIn insist on constantly suggesting that I invite all my gmail contacts to connect. It seems like a contradiction, since it gets all antsy with me if I try to connect with someone that I don't know. If we are to network doesn't that mean introducing ourselves to people we don't know?

I think as a concept LinkedIn is a great idea but the functionality of it needs to be revisited.

Having said that, I do dip into it a few times a week. I find the CILIP  group very active. I've tried getting a few groups up and running, on LinkedIn and Facebook and I've learned you need two things - a lot of members
- a lot of ethusiasm.
It's hard to get a group going, no more than physical group-work is difficult, which I do in my job every day. Groups take time to nurture and grow. The CILIP group works because it has a lot of members and they're very active on LinkedIn. I asked to join the UCD SILS Alumni group about a year ago and my request is still 'pending'. 

As for my professional brand - i can see from looking at other profiles and reading Michelle's post that mine needs a bit of work. I've filled out my profile but it seems a bit all over the place. A lot of my work is bitty, - helping here / helping there/ a bit of everything. I don't have a 'dragon slaying story'  - yet.

So here is my about.me page. It's very rough and ready and will take (more) time to fill in properly.

Time time, who has the time?




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts