Thing 6: Reflective Practice

I'm delighted to have an opportunity to take a few minutes to take stock of where I am at with this course. Things have been pretty hectic up until now and i'm looking forward to catching up on my own reflective blogging.

I've been dipping into everyone's blogs since the start of the course. It's a nice way to get a feel for how our Rudai 23 community is growing. I am becoming familiar with the names and faces on the different networks. I love it when I see someone pop up on LinkedIn and then a few days later, join the facebook group or send out a tweet and i know they are studiously working their way through the course.


Highlights so far for me have been the buzz on twitter. An it's really buzzing. Every night I check my stream for the hashtag and there's always a few new tweeters joining the conversation.

The impromptu hangout was a bit hairy but definitely worth trying. We will be finalising a date tomorrow for a proper hangout.

I have been surprised about how far I still have to go with releasing my 'internet self' . When I did the 23 things course in 2011 I was very wary, like a lot of people doing this course, about putting myself out there. It's a scary thing, akin to standing on a stage infront of thousands of people and telling them your deepest secrets. I've only just gotten the courage to post a proper profile picture on all my networks that's instantly recognisable. I'm also getting a lot braver about connecting with people, commenting on blogs, responding to tweets. It takes a while and it's scary at first when people talk back but very rewarding.

I think that everyone that is doing this course is looking for something. I'm not talking about the obvious things like Chartership or a Job - those are a given. I think some of us are looking to make something happen, to contribute to the library profession on a bigger scale,  and I really think we could. Already there are murmurings about starting a UK/Irish podcast. I'm looking forward to seeing what people have to say when the topic of advocacy comes up. We are sorely lacking in advocacy for libraries in Ireland at the moment and I would love to collaborate with someone on an advocacy project.


Comments

Popular Posts