Thing 8: Curator Tools

I was a contributor to the Rudai post on curator tools so again I might sound a bit biased. I wrote the bit on Pinterest. Anyone that knows me knows how much  I love Pinterest. I think the visual element of it is very suited to displaying book covers. I would love to see it used as a way to display new titles added to a library collection, or to compile reading lists on different genres or topics. Our library uses it to collate genealogy titles and it has a growing list of followers.
I've also been pinning a lot of the pins to the Rudai 23 boards. It's an interesting way to collate articles related to a topic. I know we have tools like Evernote and Pocket for this purpose as well but I like the visual layout of Pinterest. It's an easy way to flick through and find the stuff you want.

I havent't used Flipboard much and I did take a look at it after reading Thing 8. I think Flipboard is just one of those social media tools that I just cant fit into my life. If I travelled on public transport everyday maybe, but still, I think my social media cup might floweth over if I take on Flipboard. I like the idea of using it for educational purposes however, by creating magazines to share on certain topics.

Storify is a really interesting tool. I did a bit of searching for examples of it being used in an educational context and I found an example of a storify of President Obama's inauguration. I think it would be a really innovative way to teach a class about an historical event or a global issue.


Comments

Popular Posts