Thing 7: Podcasts

I have recently gotten back into podcasts having not listened to them for a while. It depends on my schedule and whether or not I can fit a podcast into whatever I’m doing. At the moment my car radio doesn’t work so It’s handy to have something to listen to while I drive. Also I’ve returned to working full time so I like having something to listen to for those long Mondays spent tidying our library after a hectic Saturday. (we’re closed to the public on Monday mornings). At the moment I am listening to Serial and I'm hooked.


Ferguson Public Library Facebook Status
I have to admit the main reason that I chose to include podcasts as a ‘Thing’ is because I wanted to tell everyone about Circulating Ideas. I think it’s such useful and interesting resource. I have learned so much from listening to it. I know a few people have said that they didn’t think it is relevant to them because the interviews are all with US based librarians but I think they are very relevant. Steve interviews people he believes are doing something significant in the library profession – take for example his interview with Scott Bonner, the director of Ferguson Public Library in Missouri. Exactly one year ago Ferguson city was a war zone with rioting on the streets. It wasn’t safe for people to step outside their front door. Scott Bonner chose to keep the public library open during this time and as a result it became a safe haven for people to go when they had nowhere else. Steve Thomas’ interview with Scott Bonner is inspirational.


I’m going a little off topic now. The point that I’m trying to make is that even if our libraries are a little bit different than the libraries in the US we still operate by the same values and principals. We’re not all that different in reality and I find most of the Circulating Ideas podcasts very relevant.

I would however love to see an Irish/UK based podcast for librarians. There is some talk about it on twitter and I can really see it happening. I’m not sure if it’s something I could do. I hate the sound of my recorded voice. I think I sound very Oirish, like Darby O’Gill. I know we give out about movie stars when they attempt the Irish accent, but perhaps that’s how they really hear us? I mean have we really listened to ourselves? I did acquire a bit of a Canadian accent when I went travelling for my obligatory one year in Australia, but that was so that people could understand me. Maybe it’s time to resurrect the Canadian me.

I didn’t record anything for this blog post. I did the recording for the Rudai 23 blogpost and I think that’s punishment enough for everyone.

Comments

Popular Posts