Thing 10: Live Streaming

It's useful to wait two months before blogging about an event because you have completely forgotten what happened and then you have to go back and read about it. - I'm joking of course.

I was one of the background people for the Rudai 23 Hangout on Air. I was monitoring the twitter feed and commenting and tweeting from one device, while watching it from a second device. It was exciting and nerve wracking and it felt great to be involved in it. There was a lot of work involved in the preparation leading up to the hangout - making sure everyone involved had a good internet connection, the right equipment etc.
Once the hangout started it was a bit like a twitter chat but with visuals. The technical glitches did dominate the proceedings for a lot of the session and there were a few problems with sound. If we were to do it again I would insist that everyone has headphones with a mic attached.

I love the idea of a hangout for an informal work conference. I have since used hangouts with a few of the Rudai 23 Team to discuss the project and it was very useful. The more we use it the easier it is to be mindful of not speaking over people and the conversation does flow.

As a public Hangout on Air I'm not so sure I would use it again in my work but I do see its merits. I think it would be very good for a small panel discussion  - for example with some librarians in the UK or US as part of a regular series for my library group. David Lankes has a 'video show' called This Week in Libraries which is kind of along the lines of what I'm talking about. It takes a certain skill - like any good television journalist I suppose- to be able to fill that kind of role, not something I possess I fear. But I would be happy to be part of the 'backroom' stuff.

I've looked at periscope a few times. Every so often my phone chirps as someone I follow is streaming from periscope. The most exciting so far was when Jam Holmqvist streamed from the Next Library Conference. I was struck with major conference envy. There have been a few occasions where I have been tempted to whip out my phone and stream a 'happening' at my library but didn't because of the issue of permission and privacy rights. How far do we really need to go with online sharing? It is really necessary to have everything out there? I realise the importance of showing what really goes on in libraries but we need to respect people's privacy as well.


Comments

Popular Posts