Thing 9: Video

It's no surprise that I stalled at Thing 9. I've only just recovered from the trauma of having to listen to the sound of my own voice for the podcast thing and here I am again having to record my voice for the screencast.
I completely see the merit of screencasting and I wouldn't let my own personal feelings stop me from using it in a work situation. I would just use subtitles instead.
So it took two attempts to do the screen cast. I decided to pick a topic that I was comfortable with and knew well - Pinterest.
I should have storyboarded it first, or at least written a script or a few points that I wanted to cover. My first attempt was far too long, with lots of umms and ahhhs and spelling mistakes when typing into the search bar. Not very professional at all. The second attempt was marginally better. I decided that would do, not wanting to dwell on it too much.
I should say I had a few glitches getting screencastomatic to work, but I think that comes with trying any new software. I had to install a plug-in and the microphone took some 'tweaking'.
Uploading my screencast to YouTube was straightforward enough. When I tried to add annotations however nothing happened. I was expecting to see the option for automatic subtitles come up, as described in Wayne's post but it wasn't there. I know this happened with another few Rudai people and I just didnt have the time to explore the problem further, or manually add my own subtitles. So I left the video as it, with my audio.
I did enjoy doing it and I think screencasts would be hugely beneficial in libraries. We are currently in the process of switching to a new library management system and I think a few screen casts on how to use it would be very apt for both staff and public.
On regular occasions I have to show members of the public how to log out of someone else's google account and log into their own. It's just 4 steps, but it would be good to have a screen cast of those kind of things on the public access computers desktop.  I know most people will still ask me for help rather than watch a video but there will be a few who would probably prefer to watch the video, and feel a bit more self sufficient at working it out themselves from there.

And here is the video itself:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts